Monday, January 23, 2012

The Unexpected Party

So what happens when it’s Monday and the reservations you had for your 17 person dinner for Thanksgiving falls through?

After the initial wave of panic passes, I think it’s time to throw a party. If you think that can’t happen, it happened to my family this past Thanksgiving.  I had already spent about two months planning a special 50th Birthday event for my twin brother and me for the Saturday after Thanksgiving so I hadn’t planned on Thanksgiving, too. 

Since my cousin and I were “in charge” of managing Thanksgiving for family coming in from out of town, the first thing I did when I heard the news was to say “No problem, we’ll have it at my place.” Now before you think I live in this palatial estate, I live in a little two bedroom condo. But what I’ve learned over the years is that people aren’t coming for the space, they’re coming for the food and the company.

My experiences hosting several of my Monday’s @ Mark’s events where upwards of 30 people came showed me that you don’t need a big space to entertain. 

The good news is that the house was clean in anticipation of my parents staying with me and hosting the party on Saturday.  But even if it wasn’t a little straightening here and there and “it’s all good!”  Step two was to check the wine cabinet.  Now I’ve been accused of being a wine snob but it’s not really true. I just know what I like and have some really fantastic wines.

For Thanksgiving, I decided that, for the red wine drinkers, I would be serving Carignane and Grenache.  Over the last several years, I’ve been expanding my wine palate.  I started out pretty much a Cabernet or Merlot drinker but found myself drifting – with the help of my friends at Seghesio Family Vineyards – migrating to Zinfandels.  Seghesio has a lot of really great Zins.  And they’re really versatile. 

This past year they came out with their own Carignane for the first time in many years.  They’ve been using it in their blending but not as a stand-alone.  I was blown away.  Then I picked up some Carigane from the Frick winery.  I also had a couple of bottles of Seghesio’s Grenache as well as a Grenache from their sister winery, Chamisal Vineyards.

With the wine selected, step two was to work out the menu.  Between everyone, it was decided I would handle the turkey, we’d buy the pumpkin pie from Sam’s, my cousin would handle the side dishes and my sister-in-law would handle the cranberry salad. The last thing I ever want is to run out of food and, unfortunately, I could only find a smallish turkey.

Solved the problem by getting two 10 pound turkeys.  Not only would they cook faster than a bigger bird, I would do one in the oven and one in the smoker.  I love smoked foods.  To pump up the difficulty factor I decided to do some oysters on the grill.  With the proliferation of cooking sites on the internet finding recipes wasn’t a problem.

Nor was finding the time as luckily I had planned to take vacation the whole week.  As it turns out I needed every single minute.  As an aside, when you’re smoking a turkey in Chicago in November, you have to count on a few more hours than you would, say in July. But here’s the good news . . . with enough good wine people don’t really care that much about the timing of the food.

Perhaps the most challenging part of the whole cooking experience was opening the oysters.  I had never done that before and it took me a few oysters (and a little blood) before I realized that the way you open the oyster is through the hinge.  Everything went much easier after that.

Everyone had a great time.  I don’t think anyone felt cheated by not having the original Thanksgiving dinner. And reflecting over a glass (or two) of Seghesio’s Dionigia Port, I realized that it isn’t about the food.  Everything turned out fantastic. Or even the wine.  Which, by the way, if you haven’t ventured beyond the old standby’s, I’d recommend you give both a Grenache and Carignane a try. They’re well worth the travel beyond the ordinary. 

At the end of the day, it’s about the company.  It’s about a house filled with laughter and joy even amidst the detours of life. That’s what Monday’s @ Mark’s is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment