Monday, October 22, 2012

Another Day in Paradise or Music City Day 2


Day two in music city dawned well before I pushed back the blankets and rolled my lazy backside down to get the free Hampton Inn breakfast. Nothing special but satisfying anyway. I guess the one twist on the traditional Hampton Inn breakfast was the option to go with the grits in addition to the oatmeal.

Some of the Honky Tonks on Broadway
Needing to do something healthy to start the day, we took a brief walk up to and down Broadway.  It’s not even 11 on a Sunday morning and the bars are beginning to come alive as the bands set up begin singing.
Aaah. Music City.

A quick stop in the store beside Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville suggests that there's a big sign on my back that says: "Take my money. PLEASE!"

Not only that, you can buy such things as a Beer Belly (a Camelbak) that slips under your shirt so you can sneak in beer to events you might not otherwise. Then there’s the Wine Rack (a bra that does the same with wine or any other beverage).

Patrons are already making their way into the bars such as the classic Purple Orchid, Layla’s, Second Fiddle and more. Folks can’t get enough of the country music and I’m still trying to figure out what country they’re from!

Most of the day was spent just wandering around the area including a visit to the Barnes and Noble near Vanderbilt. Couldn’t resist getting a book on making Salumi. Yes I could pick that up in just about any other B & N but . . .

After watching a little football and relaxing a bit, we went to dinner at a new-to-me Tex-Mex restaurant called Chuy’s and their should be famous Chihuahua Bar. 

With NRM friends Lynn Bogle (VP Development)
& Glen Cranfield (CEO)
Have one near you? Then you know what I’m talking about. While I don’t usually lean toward chains, this one has a couple of reasons to not miss. It begins with the jalapeño dip.

This ranch-based dip is to die for. Frankly, it could change your life.  It did mine.  Now I have to figure out how to recreate it. Along with their delicious Mojito I could spend the evening eating chips, salsa and the jalapeño dip.

But there’s much more available. Including their tortilla soup. I only wish a franchise was located in the Chicagoland area. I’m sure I would frequent it too much.

Perhaps the biggest challenge of the evening was keeping the dip and soup off my shirt. That’s because the whole purpose of the trip was coming up that evening. One of the organization’s I have the privilege to serve is the Nashville Rescue Mission.

Tracy Lawrence and Dave Innis prior to the show
This Mission is doing phenomenal things for the Music City and this fundraising event is not one to be missed. Music with a Mission was spearheaded by Restless Heart and friends playing alongside the Grammy-winning Nashville Orchestra.

Now being from Chicago, I’m really spoiled by the quality of the Chicago Symphony. The Nashville Symphony is just that good. Tonight’s lineup included a who’s who of the music world from country to jazz.

Besides Restless Heart there was Tracy Lawrence, Larry Gatlin and the Gatlin Brothers, Ricky Skaggs, Amy Grant, Branford Marsalis, Joey Calderazzo and many others.

I confess my main interest in the show was Branford.

Me with Branford Marsalis after the show.
Jazz is one of my favorite forms of music but when you’re listening to a Marsalis family member, they’re equally adept at every form of music. His classical piece was simply stunning in its orchestration.

The silent auction was filled with all kinds of music memorabilia.  I bid on a couple of items and almost left with a guitar signed by all the artists. It was just a bit over my budget for the event. 

Amazing. Signed guitars by Vince Gill and others along with a signed fiddle from Charlie Daniels. I’m not even a big fan but I was bidding anyway.

The performance?

Phenomenal doesn’t begin to describe the evening. I even found myself singing along with some of the country tunes. Gratefully the Mission provided invitations to the pre- and post-event festivities where I had the opportunity to meet several of the artists.

Greg Jennings with my co-worker Denise and me.
I’m planning on taking a trip to New Orleans sometime yet this year or early next year with a good friend from there. It’s in one of just two states I’ve never been in (Hawaii is the other) or through yet. The very gracious Branford Marsalis not only allowed a photograph but provided a couple of must see sights in New Orleans.

As I am leaving this incredible town, I’m still not sure I’m a huge fan of Country music but at least I’ve developed a new appreciation and won’t just change the channel if it happens to come on the radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment