Friday, January 25, 2013

Were the Beach Boys Singing about Wine?

I'm going to show my age a little bit but I was wondering tonight as I was enjoying a glass of wine if the Beach Boys misspelled Barbara Ann and really were singing about Barbera wine.
Bah, Bah, Bah, Barbera Wine?
Ok. Now that you have the Beach Boys reverberating in your mind, perhaps that was a little too kitschy.

It is what I was thinking, though,  as I was enjoying a glass of Seghesio 2009 Barbera. Until learning of Barbera from Seghesio Family Vineyards I had never heard of the grape.

Of course I had heard of various Italian wines like Chianti (which I know is a particular blend rather than a grape) but not this specific grape.

I wonder why because it's the third most planted variety after Sangiovese and Montepulciano (never heard of this grape either). Barbera is most famously found in the Piedmont region of Italy. Would it surprise you to learn that is exactly the region of Italy that Seghesio patriarch Edoardo emigrated from? 

When he arrived in America, he planted a number of vineyards with varietals he found here but one vineyard was planted to his favorites from his homeland. Seghesio's historic and proprietary Barbera clones are ideally suited for the Alexander Valley.

One of the things that I've learned from trying different wines is that each has its own unique characteristics. The Barbera that winemaker Ted Seghesio makes has a bold aroma and a velvety texture. There's a richness to this wine.

Building on the family's heritage, Seghesio Family Vineyards and winemaker Ted Seghesio create incredible wines from a distinctively Italian point of view from Anglianico to Zinfandel. I think it sets them apart from other winemakers in the region.

As I've mentioned before, I don't have the best ability in picking out aromas or specific flavors within a wine. With this wine, everything works gloriously together. As I've been on a drive to see how I might be able to turn the tasting "rules" upside down this year, the Barbera is something of a wonder.

Over the years I've never had a bad pairing with the Barbera. Tonight I'm enjoying the wine with . . . well nothing spectacular. It's been a rough couple of weeks so I just re-heated some dirty rice I had in the freezer. But what I love is that this delicious wine is making what might otherwise be a mundane evening into something truly spectacular.

You'll want to check your local wine shop if you want a bottle of this wine because it's currently not available on the Seghesio web site. Wine doesn't have to be saved for a special occasion but it can make what might otherwise be a mundane meal.

Salute!

No comments:

Post a Comment