Monday, February 4, 2013

Defiant as Always

After a long day at work, I came home wanting a good wine and a simple meal.  I guess nothing says simple like a grilled cheese sandwich. Most recently I have been drinking some really good pinot noirs and chardonnays and other lighter red blends.

But today I felt a little Defiant.

Defiant, as in in Seghesio's Defiant blend. This isn't a light red blend. With Aglianico, Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon, you can be assured that this is a full, bold blend.  And it lives up to its name.

I discovered this little gem a couple of years. Frankly it caused me to change my membership in Seghesio's wine club.  Let me explain.

What first attracted me to this wine first by its name.  For those of you who know me well, you can say that there's a little defiant streak running through me. This delicious and bold wine got its name from the description that wine icon Mario Pinelli-Minetti during Seghesio's centennial in 1995.  He toasted Seghesio Matriarch Angela for the defiant way she faced the industry's challenges.

I imagine that she faced a number of significant issues from Prohibition to the Great Depression. Two world wars and a police action. A lot to steer a company and family through.

A few years ago, I received this wine as part of my club shipment. I called to order more and was told: "we don't have any more. It all went in the initial club shipment." Now I was disappointed.  I changed my membership from two bottles of each club wine to six.

This wine reflects that defiance. This is a bold wine. I had the 2008 vintage. I'm thinking that this wine could use a few more years. It's still young. This wine will stand up to the boldest of foods.

Frankly, it was a real treat. I loved the nose of this wine to begin.You could also pick up the oak from the barrel. The tannins are particularly strong. I think with a couple more years, this wine will mellow and turn into a devilishly delicious wine.

For those of you looking for this wine, you'll have to be a member of the Seghesio wine club since it's only available to members.

No comments:

Post a Comment