Monday, February 25, 2013

Twins with Completely Different Personalities, Part 1

This morning the sun is rising over two sisters ... twins with different personalities.  Very different personalities.

The sun rising of San Jose Del Cabo is a
breathtaking sight this morning.
For those of you who are my close friends and family, you know that I'm a twin. Not an identical twin but a twin nonetheless. I have twin aunts (identical I think) and I'm seeing a woman with identical twin sons.  And last summer I had the pleasure of meeting Nicole and Katey Bacigalupi at their family's winery in Sonoma, John Tyler Wines by Bacigalupi Vineyards. Twins working side by side.  Frankly, that's hard for me to imagine.

I often refer to twin brother as my womb mate. We spent the first 16 years of our lives either sharing a womb or a room. And, in spite of my best efforts, we ended up at the same college, too. (Although for the first year I lived in denial and answered people who seemed to notice someone similar to me on campus with an "Oh, really?"

There are some twins who love being twins. I didn't.  I always wanted to be my own person and it was hard always being referred to as "the boys" or "the Loux boys" knowing that only referred to my twin and I and not my younger brother. I took care of that on my 50th birthday making my younger brother officially one of the "Loux Boys." 

Roxanne amid the cactus and the sea breeze.
I think it's the same way with communities.  This week I'm visiting the twin towns of Los Cabos: San Jose Del Cabo and her younger, more adventurous sister, Cabo San Lucas. These two communities couldn't have different personalities.  Much like many of the other twins I've met. 

Cabo San Lucas is the party town. There are tons of restaurants, bars and resorts.  The cruise ships that come to Los Cabos camp in their port.  About thirty miles up the road is San Juan Del Cabo, the older more traditional community. 

Since I've only had one full day in these cities to begin to explore their differences, I'm looking forward to spending more time checking out the two scenes.  Although it's going to be hard to leave the all inclusive resort on the Sea of Cortez just feet from the room. 

The only downside is there's just a single bottle of house red wine and a single bottle of house white wine from which to choose. It's a good thing that it's a decent Malbec from Argentina. 

Perhaps a stop today at a wine shop and I'll bring back a bottle or two of some different wines.  After watching Rick Bayless's Mexico One Plate at a Time, I understand the Mexican wine industry is growing and producing some really fine wines.

In the meantime, I'll have to content myself with the selections available at the resort. Nothing like eating breakfast with a cool sea breeze blowing, the sound of the waves crashing on the beach, delicious food and fresh squeezed juice.

Who would have thought that celery makes for a refreshing juice? I certainly didn't.  I'll have to try some new things with my juicer back in Chicago.
Now I'll content myself with learning more about these twins.  Today will be a visit to Cabo San Lucas.  I think we'll even try the local transportation there!

No comments:

Post a Comment